Thursday, October 2, 2008

Hey - it's a Monday! (Don't you just love them?)

Today's particularly exciting:
  • Red network is switched on at my place
  • Getting a new modem (hopefully)
  • ... seeing Vector guys laying fibre less than 200m away
I'll get onto the fibre laying first - I probably won't be able to take a photo, but you'll be able to imagine around 5 guys standing around a hole and feeding fibre into it from a huge bundle.

They've even kindly placed a sign saying that they're laying fibre... (drools at the thought of fibre here)

Oddly enough, we're not getting cabinetised within the next 2 years (from the cabinetisation notice list), so this must be going somewhere else... and I'm just verging on 2km from the exchange. I must really be stuck in the middle.



The good thing without cabinetisation here is that I can stick to the Red network a little longer, now that I've offically been migrated to the Red network. Just look at the following table from yesterday compared to today:

Hardware: D-Link DSL-504T (Gen I)

[Unforunately, no table can be made here... Frown, so here's a list even making simple fixed font text is hard here, so I'll give you a link instead.]

See here for table.

So all in all, at least a double in speed.

Also, my father realised that we have Caller ID enabled through our line for some reason... special... (and strange considering we haven't signed up to the Caller Display service for $4/mth. Hopefully they haven't signed us up to the Features pack by accident, as we have a Voicemail capable fax, and we definitely don't want calls to go into an external voicemail system)



Lastly, I'll be getting a new MT882 modem from Vodafone in the afternoon - I'll see what kind of speed increase I'll be able to draw out of that.
Read More

No comments: